Yacht Cabling & Technology for Super Yachts
Luxury yachts have benefited greatly by embracing technology. By delivering the very best in AV and navigation systems for their owners. Today, the emphasis is about the latest technologies, gadgets and making an impression. Whether you’re looking to provide a home cinema experience on the open seas or navigating your way along a coastline, modern super yachts are equipped to meet all your technology needs. The requirement for yacht cabling has increased along with the technology
Installing the latest equipment and maximising connectivity can present unique challenges within the constraints of a luxury yacht. However, achieving an unparalleled audio-visual set-up which significantly improves your sailing experience, isn’t out of reach.
Investing in the very best infrastructure and combining this with innovative cable technology, you can soon find that your technology dream soon becomes a reality. Let’s take a look at how you can get started.
Space can be an issue when it comes to designing a yacht cable system for a mega yacht, due to the vast array of technology that can be found in a modern yacht. Naturally, life on the water is very different to life on land and space is not the only issue to contend with:
- Increased Motion: Yachts rock back and forth in the water, so it’s crucial that cabling is secured to protect your equipment and prevent potential trip hazards.
- Water Damage: This may seem a no-brainer, but the risk of water of damage to your cables presents one of the biggest risks to your AV technology. Water proofing all your cables and their connections to your equipment, therefore, is paramount.
- Moulded surfaces: To protect living spaces in yachts from the elements, panels and outskirts tend to be made from moulded materials. And trying to run cables through these surfaces (so that they remain hidden) can involve significant labour, so you need to get it right first time.
You may be wondering how you overcome these obstacles and build that amazing technology centre that your luxury yacht demands, but it’s not as difficult as you would think. You just need to work methodically and with great technology.
Maximising connectivity – Structured cabling systems
There are many steps that you should take to solve all your cabling issues and the most efficient solutions are:
Yacht Cabling Checklist
- Ensure that all your AV technology is readily available when you start decking your yacht out. This allows you to carefully plan where it will be located to reduce the risk of water damage. Then you can start sketching out a plan for the cabling setup.
- Fix all yacht cabling securely with cable clips to prevent loose cables becoming an issue. Once they’re secured, fix even more cable clips to secure them even further.
- Wi-Fi technology can significantly reduce the need for cabling. It provides quick easy access to a wide range of technology. Therefore, installing a wireless router can help solve many cabling issues from the start.
- One of the most effective cables to connect your technology is a Cat6a Ethernet cable. With speeds that are notably faster than Wi-Fi, Cat6a direct cabling delivers a serious level of performance for all your AV technology. It also is the cable of choice for HD Base-T HDMI over cabling distribution and capable of 10 Gig transmission speeds
- Make sure that you compensate for future installs by running more cable than necessary. The excess cabling can, for now, remain hidden behind fixings and helps to minimise disruption in the future
For information on how to get the right Yacht Cabling for your next project, don’t hesitate to get in touch
Please click HERE for a recent case study on an super yacht installation
About NM Cabling Solutions – Network Cabling Specialist
NM Cabling is a technology and structured cabling integrator working throughout the United Kingdom.
We have created a comprehensive Knowledge Centre for our industry which can be viewed at https://www.nmcabling.co.uk/knowledge-centre/