Cabling for Anaerobic digestion (AD)
Renewable energy sources are becoming increasingly popular, as people seek to find ways to reduce their costs and their carbon footprint. The ability to turn waste material into power and heat through the process of anaerobic digestion is also on the rise, with over 470 plants already active in the UK.
But to be done effectively this needs to happen in a carefully controlled environment, with smart use of technology to monitor the process. Anaerobic digestion cabling is a core part of that, connecting key parts of the infrastructure. See our page on Cabling for Anaerobic digestion
What is Anaerobic Digestion?
Anaerobic digestion is the process by which waste material such as manures, crop residue or industrial waste is turned into gas that can be used as fuel. In this process, the biodegradable waste material is broken down by microorganisms in the absence of oxygen to product biogas.
Biogas can be burned as fuel, or further refined into renewable energy sources to be sold.
Anaerobic Digestion Plants
Biogas-Info.co.uk distinguishes between these are two main types of plants:
- Heat and power (CHP) – On-site anaerobic digester used to create power, heat or both
- Power to grid (BtG) – Anaerobic digester plant used to create biomethane to be sold to the national grid
As technology has advanced the process has become more data driven, with sensors providing data on the environment and relaying back information on the process. Anaerobic digestion cabling has also become a lot more important over time.
The cabling for these plants has very specific requirements and must be suitable for the environment. Whether you are looking at a smaller, on-site facility for generating your own energy or a much larger dedicated plant, may of the components will be the same.
- Power, heat, light – Essential elements for the safe and effective running of the plant
- Sensors – Provide data about the environment of the plant
- Instrumentation – Display the information relayed back from sensors
- Control panel – Control unit to regulate the environment
- Ethernet connectivity – Data cabling connects the various components ensuring the smooth running of the plant. Also connects to the internet for cloud storage of data.
Invest in solid foundations
These infrastructure components are vital to the successful operation of your anaerobic digestion plant and choosing wisely now will also help to future proof your investment for the long-term.
According to the NNFCC there are another 327 plants are in the process of being built in 2018.